2020 Boys and Girls Cross Country
Coach David J Morgan
Work #: 727 774 7392
Cell #: 727 858 4216
Thank you for your interest in participating on the Cross Country team. Parents, it is important that your son or daughter attend all regular season practices and as much preseason conditioning as possible. Please contact me as soon as possible if they will not be attending. A simple text message is fine.
The best way for me to get messages out to all the team members is using a program called Remind. Athletes and parents should sign up to receive text or email alerts from me. To register for these alerts simply text @rrxc2020 to the following phone # 81010.
All athletes must have a current physical, participation and consent/release forms to include the Covid Waiver form turned in to me before you can participate in practice and/or organized conditioning.
River Ridge Cross Country 2020 “Return to Play” Plan/Guidance
The following guidance will be used to help the RRHS Cross Country Team prepare for the upcoming season. Official practice starts on Aug 24 per the FHSAA, but it is helpful to be conditioned and heat acclimated prior to the official season start date. We are conditioning Monday-Thursday at the RRHS track (see schedule below)
NFHS Guideline for opening up High School Athletics
All coaches and students will be screened for symptoms/signs of Covid 19 prior to training sessions. All responses will be recorded so there is a record in case a student/coach develops Covid-19.
Any person with positive symptoms will not be permitted to take part in training sessions and should contact his or her primary care provider or other appropriate health-care professional
Coach Responsibilities and Daily Expectations:
Mandatory reporting of signs/symptoms for any student. Such students should be quarantined and sent home with parent or guardian…Rather be safe than sorry.
- Keep expectations realistic…assume athletes are in a deconditioned state.
- Ensure that social distancing is maintained at all times…
- Do not allow students to “hang around” after sessions end.
- Ensure all certifications are up to date…1st Aid, CPR, Concussion, Heat Acclimation, Sudden Cardiac Death
- If YOU feel sick, feverish, or short of breath before workouts, do NOT come to School. Notify other coaches and healthcare provider immediately.
- If someone in your immediate household is sick, feverish or short of breath, do NOT come to school.
- Please do not congregate with other coaches, parents, students or staff. Adhere to CDC social distancing at all times. If you must violate the required distance for an emergency situation, you MUST wear a mask.
- If you notice any changes in your health or well being, please let us know immediately.
Daily Expectations for Students:
- If you feel sick, feverish, or short of breath before workouts, do NOT come to School. Notify coaches and healthcare provider immediately.
- If you become ill or feel ‘sick’ while in our care, remove yourself from activity and notify coach..
- NO physical contact with teammates or coaches. Runners should maintain the recommended 6 feet of distancing between individuals.
- If you have to go to the restroom, alert the coach or ATC and they will provide you with instructions and direction.
- Athletes must follow travel PRE DETERMINED ROUTES from setting to setting to avoid crossing paths with other groups. This includes trips to the restroom or Trainer.
- There should be no shared athletic equipment (towels, clothing, shoes, etc…) between students.
- Clothing and towels should be washed and cleaned after every workout.
Daily Expectations/Responsibilities of Parents;
- Make sure your child has all their athletic forms prior to participating in any school organized conditioning and/or practices…Physical, Liability forms, notarized doc, etc..
- Communicate any recent physical, mental or emotional changes to your child since school shifted to E-Learning.
- If your child feels sick, feverish, or short of breath before workouts, do not allow them to come…notify coach and healthcare professional.
- Please ensure your child is on time and picked up immediately at the end of practice.
- Please do not congregate with other parents on school premises while your child is involved in activities….your safety is also our concern.
- If you notice any changes in your child’s health, please let us know immediately.
Phased Return to Play Plan
Athlete Responsibilities … What to bring every day:
- Big Water Bottle and Towel –there will no sharing of towels or community water bottles provided. The water fountains will be OFF-LIMITS…you will be sent home if you do not have water!
- Bottle of hand sanitizer should be strongly encouraged.
- Tennis Shoes and Proper Running Clothes
- Phone or Mobile Device to Enter Daily Questionnaire Answers. If a student does not have one, He or She can do a paper survey. Please bring own pen and do NOT share.
- A positive and patient attitude to improve daily
Phase 1 (4 weeks, complete)
- Safely and effectively begin the Return to Play Program. Safely evaluate the athletes to determine starting fitness level.
- Begin a phased progressive strength and conditioning program that addresses:
- Cardiovascular Fitness, Musculoskeletal Fitness, Nueromuscular Coordination, and Flexibility, Morbility & Stability
Goal: Prepare students to be able to safely practice the sport
Continue to build workout capacity, Continue to increase individual levels of conditioning. Increase muscle strength, coordination, and power. Improve reactive elastic strength.
Week 1 (If athlete did not participate in phase 1, they will be assessed and workout modified)
July 27 – 31 … RRHS Track … 9-10:30…must have completed athletic forms!
July 27: 1st day of season: Warmup, stretch, 2 mile timed run, pushups, ab work, stretch
28: : Warmup, stretch, ½ mile jog, ¼ mile sprint 6X, agility work, stretch
29: Warmup, stretch, 2 – 3 mile run, burpees, ab work, stretch
30: Warmup, stretch, ½ mile run 4X, 1 stadium lap, squat jumps, stretch
Aug 3 – 7 … RRHS Track … 9-10:30 AM
Aug 3: Warmup, stretch, 2.25 mile timed run, pushups, ab work, stretch
4 : Warmup, stretch, ½ mile jog, ¼ mile sprint 6X, agility work, stretch
5: Warmup, stretch, 2.25 – 3.5 mile run, burpees, ab work, stretch
6: Warmup, stretch, ½ mile run 4X, 2 stadium lap, lunges, stretch
Aug 10 – 14 … RRHS Track … 9-10:30 AM
Aug 10: Warmup, stretch, 2.5 mile timed run, pushups, ab work, stretch
11: Warmup, stretch, ½ mile jog, ¼ mile sprint 7X, agility work, stretch
12: Warmup, stretch, 2.5 – 3.5 mile run, burpees, ab work, stretch
13: Warmup, stretch, ½ mile run 4X, 1 stadium lap, agility work, stretch
Aug 17 – 21 … RRHS Track … 12– 1:30
Aug 11: Warmup, stretch, 3 mile timed run, pushups, ab work, stretch
18: Warmup, stretch, ½ mile jog, ¼ mile sprint 8X, agility work, stretch
19: Warmup, stretch, 3 – 4 mile run, burpees, ab work, stretch
20: Warmup, stretch, ½ mile run 5X, 1 stadium lap, squat jumps, lunges, stretch
Goal: Prepare for Competition
Continue to physically prepare students to practice and compete at a high level while minimizing the risk of injury.
Aug 24 – 28 … RRHS Track … 2:30 – 4:00 (school starts)
Aug 24: Warmup, stretch, 3 mile timed run, pushups, ab work, stretch
25: Warmup, stretch, ½ mile jog, ¼ mile sprint 8X, agility work, stretch
26: Warmup, stretch, 3 – 4 mile run, burpees, ab work, stretch
27: Warmup, stretch, ½ mile run 5X, 1 stadium lap, squat jumps, lunges, stretch
28: Warmup, stretch, Timed 5K, ab work, stretch
Remaining weeks will be similar focusing on increasing athletes speed and endurance while minimizing injury.
Note: Workouts may be adjusted based on athletes conditioning and abilities
Season Starts Aug 24. Mon-Friday 2-4:30 RRHS Track. All forms due!
Competition to start after Sept 7…season length TBD
Parent Meeting: Tuesday, Aug 25, 6:00 PM, Zoom mtg, invite will be on remind
Athletic participation fee: NLT 8/14 $70 Mandatory
Uniform Jersey (only if they want to keep) $35 +/- Opt.
Boys/Girls shorts, Plain black Purchase your own Mandatory
Sponsor T-shirt $15+/- Encouraged
Warm ups jacket/sweats? $40+/- Opt
Students will be required to provide their own transportation to almost all meets…annotated on the schedule. We will ensure all athletes have rides (carpool etc) the day before the meet.
The primary fund raiser is sponsorships on the Cross Country Sponsor T-shirt. Funds will be used to cover race entry fee and possibly assist with warm ups. We could use parent help planning and selling advertisement spots on our cross-country banner that will go with us to each meet. We may also use an on-line fund raiser….
Varsity, JV Determination
The top 7 boys and girls will normally run Varsity and the remaining will run JV. We will use prior race times and/or qualification races at school to determine who runs the following races.
Meet schedule is still a work in progress since we are waiting for further guidance from the FHSAA and Pasco School District. Meets are usually held on Saturday mornings. Bussing is only provided to district meets. Runners are expected to stay at the meet until after the awards presentations.
2020 Boys and Girls Cross Country
Class 3A – Region R3 – District D5
Postponed/Canx 8/15 Gulf High School Jamboree XC, Showtime 7:00 AM, @ Gulf High School Campus
5355 School Road, New Port Richey, Fl 34652 Girls 8:00, Boys 8:30
Postponed/Canx 8/22 Whispering Pines Invitational. Showtime 7:00AM, @ Whispering Pines Park, 1700 Forest Dr. Inverness, FL 34453 GV- 8:00, BV- 8:30, GJV- 9:00, BJV- 9:45
Postponed/Canx 8/29 Lecanto Invitational, Showtime 7:00AM, @ Lecanto High School, GV – 8:00, BV – 8:35, BJV 9:05, GJV 9:35
Postponed/Canx 9/5 Zack Lucas, Showtime 7:00AM, @ McKathan Park, Brookville, Coaches meeting at 7:30. GV 8:00, BV 8:40. JV races after Varsity.
9/12 Dunedin Invite, Showtime 6:30AM, @ Hammock Park, Dunedin, GV 7:30, BV 8:18, JV 9:00
9/19 Mitchell Invitational, Showtime 7:00AM, @ Starkey Park, 7:38 coaches meeting, GV 8:00, BV 8:35, BJV 9:05, GJV 9:07
(T) 9/25 Flrunners.com Invitational 21, Transportation TBD, Details TBD, Holloway Park, Lakeland FL Varsity Only (May not attend, potential off week)
10/3 Keppel Invitational, Showtime 7:00AM, @ Crews Lake Park, 16739 Crews Lake Dr, Spring Hill, 7:40 coaches meeting, GV 8:00, BV 8:35, BJV 9:10, GJV 9:15, Awards 10:20
(T) 10/16 Sunshine Athletic Conference East/West Showtime 4:00 PM @ TBD
Coaches meeting at 4:30. JV at 5:00, GV 5:45, BV 6:15.
(T) 10/21 District, On the Bus 1:30PM, @ Palmetto HS, 1200 17th St W, Palmetto, 34221
4:00 coaches meeting, GV 5:00, BV 5:35, (Boys and Girls varsity only)
(T) 10/31 FHSAA CROSS COUNTRY CLASS 3A – REGION – 3 CHAMPIONSHIPS Details TBD, Holloway Park, Lakeland FL (Boys and Girls varsity only)
(T) 11/7 States, Apalachee Regional Park (Tallahassee)
(TBD) To Be Determined