Open Gyms: The gym is closed for the majority of July for maintenance but River Ridge will host open gyms the week of July 24th. All are welcome to attend to get some VB reps in before tryouts.
- Mon & Tues (7/24-7/25)- 10AM-12PM
- Wed & Thurs (7/26-7/27)- 6:30-8:30PM
Tryouts: Tryouts for all players entering River Ridge High School (incoming 9th-12th grade) will be the following dates/times:
- 7/31: 2:00-3:30PM
- 8/1: 6:30-8:00PM
The players chosen for the V/JV roster will be notified shortly after tryouts.
Expectations for Tryouts:
1. ALL paperwork must be complete at the time of tryouts (See “Athletic Forms” for more info)
2. Students will choose a primary position group at registration (Outside Hitter/Defensive Specialist, Middle Hitter/Right Side, Libero, Setter/Right Side). This decision will influence the drills that she participates in during tryouts.
Outside Hitter/Defensive Specialist- Front and Back Row player. Can consistently attack from the Left and Right/Serve Receive/Play backrow Defense. Must be strong Servers.
Middle Hitter/Right Side- Can attack from the middle and right side consistently as well as provide a strong block on every rally.
Libero- Backrow only player. Provide consistent Serve receive and understand and be able to play defense from all three back-row positions.
Setter/Right Side- Comfortable taking all second balls and providing a usable set for hitters from both a 6-2 and 5-1 Offenses. Also comfortable attacking and playing defense from the right side.
3. In addition to VB Skills, players will be tested during tryouts in the following areas: Endurance (Timed 400 meters), Speed (Timed Lines), and Jump (Block Touch/Approach Touch).
Preseason Schedule: All practices are mandatory.
- 8/2: 6:30-8:00pm (Parent Meeting Afterwards until 8:45)
- 8/3: 6:30-8:30pm
- 8/4: 4:30-6:30pm
- 8/7: 5:30-7:30pm
- 8/8: 6:30-8:30pm
- 8/9: 6:30-8:30pm
- 8/10: 6:30-8:30pm
- 8/11: 4:30-6:30pm
Regular Season: Starting 8/14 practice will be 2:30-4:30PM on non-match days.
Parent/Player Meeting: There will be a mandatory parent/player meeting after practice on 8/2 (8:00-8:45) for the families of all students who make the team. At least one parent or guardian should be in attendance for this meeting as we will cover the details of the season and what you need to know. Player fees will be due at this time as well ($70, Checks Made out to River Ridge High School).
Athletic Forms: Participation forms must be complete and submitted on the first day of tryouts or players will not be allowed to tryout. Paperwork can be found at the following link:
Questions: Please contact Head VB Coach Mark Sawyer directly at email@example.com